World's Best Lasagna
- 1 pound sweet italian sausage
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 15 lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 3/4 grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and
water. Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
My modifications for sauce:
Cook meat in saute pan with onion until browned, drain fat. In a large sauce pan add meat, garlic and all tomatoes and water. Season with sugar, basil
leaves, fennel seeds, italian seasoning, salt, pepper and parsley. Simmer and cover for 2 hours
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. In
a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- To assemble: spread 1 1/2 cups sauce on the bottom of a 9X13 deep dish, 5 noodles then 1/2 ricotta mixture, 1/3 mozzarella, 1 cup of meat sauce, 1/3 of parm
cheese. Next - 5 noodles, remaining ricotta, 1/3 mozz cheese, 1 cup of meat sauce, 1/3 parm cheese, 5 noodles 1-1 1/2 cups of meat sauce, remaining mozz and parm. Cover and refridgerate
over night. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the
- Remove from refridgerator 1 to 1 1/2 hours before baking.
- Bake at 375 for 35 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.